Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Baked Vegan Acorn Donuts

My baked donuts were again for another potluck, I used the same mini cupcake tin. I used a veganyumyum recipe that I found here. They pretty much turned out like little cupcakes, but I decorated them like acorns for the fall and in memory of my sorority sisters. One batch didn't make many, though they were easy, so I made another. Only problem was that I ran out of Earth Balance. I am trying to avoid it now anyway so I just used oil instead. I think the oil ones turned out even better to be honest. I did reduce the amount of oil I used though. For reference, sugar is considered a wet ingredient. I had to google that since neither site elaborated. I guess I still am a super n00b.


I decorated them with PB and chopped pretzels, the pretzels were so hard to chop though! I went through two plastic bags, then started grinding them with the top of an old juice cap in a bowl! Talk about a lot of work. Baking them was really easy, so I think I might just skip the decorating part. I don't think I have the patience or creativity for that.

RECIPE:

Lolo's Baked Vegan Donuts
Ingredients:
1 cup all-purpose flour (I used Whole Wheat Pastry Flour)
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 shake of cinnamon 
1/2 cup almond milk
1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Egg replacer for 1 egg (I used Ener-G Egg Replacer.)
4 tablespoons Earth Balance or other vegan margarine (I used 3 tablespoons oil)


Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350º F.

In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients with a whisk to mix thoroughly.

In a small saucepan, combine wet ingredients (including sugar) over medium low heat & mix until margarine (I just threw the oil in here and let it go till the sugar dissolved, who knows if this was right!) is melted. You should be able to stick your finger in the mixture without burning yourself. Don't make this too hot for the dough!

Add wet to dry & mix until just combined, forming a soft spongy dough.

Using a tablespoon measure, scoop out dough into an ungreased nonstick 
mini cupcake pan & smooth out the tops of them. If using a regular sized donut pan, fill them until just below the rim. Make sure not to overfill them or they'll have uneven muffin tops. If you under fill them, they'll be skimpy, but still edible.

Bake them for 12 minutes or until a tester comes out clean.

Invert the hot pan over a cooling rack to release the donuts & allow them to cool completely before decorating.

This will yield 20 mini donuts or 6 to 8 large donuts. (Mine only gave me one and a half mini-cupcake tins)
If you don't have a donut pan, you can bake them as donut holes in the bottom of a mini muffin pan (like I did!) or make fun shapes in those molded silicone pans!

No comments:

Post a Comment