Monday, September 5, 2011

A clarification is in order

I wanted to bring up a very important note. Not all vegan's are exactly the same. This is extremely crucial to remember. Not all humans are the same either. Where each individual draws the line is their own decision and no one has the right to question this. I personally consume honey, sugars that are processed with bone char, and I am sure tons of other enzymes and whatnot. I do not consume gelatin or eggs, dairy, whey, casein, and the like. I do however have a don't ask don't tell policy when I go out to eat with things like bread or noodles, as dairy in these will not cause me to get sick. I do not want people thinking being vegan is a drag and I don't want waiters spitting in my food. You may disagree with this, feel free, just know that everyone is entitled to their own opinion and just that. It swings both ways. Just be aware that I am not really concerned with trace amounts of potential animal derived ingredients (like glycerides, etc) if you are, double check your ingredients before following my recipes. And please, be respectful of everyone's choices. Being vegan is about being compassionate (for some people) and ragging on someone for not being "vegan-enough" like vegetarians, pescatarians, and flexitarians is not compassionate. They are on your side, so harping on them about when they are going to take the plunge is inconsiderate. It will be more beneficial if you are a good friend and walk with them through life, remember they are a sentient being as well and deserve just as much respect as the animal you are trying to save.

No comments:

Post a Comment