Monday, May 9, 2011

A change of mindset

As I said, I am interested in starting an animal rights group on campus. However, I am having second thoughts. I don't want to be obnoxious, I feel it is most powerful if people can relate to me, if they don't look at it as us vs. them. I do not want to be condescending. I want to encourage people to be the best they can be, for the world. I am not sure protesting has this desired outcome. It seems like protesting just creates more barriers. We are supposed to be working for peace, not more segregation. Those people driving by only see looney's who they have nothing in common with, and want nothing to do with. However, had we approached them politely and less aggressively at a time more convenient for them, when they weren't already at the tracks, it could have sunk in further. The problem here does not lie in the people, we cannot change their blind ignorance, it is the powerhouse behind it that needs to be stopped, and many many people would agree that they don't like the way certain monopolies are run. IE: most american's would love a McDonald's reform, but telling them that they are wrong for eating there and that it is bad is only going to make them feel awful, and ganged up on. They are likely to go more into depression and revert further into their ways. What if I really did have it all backwards? I don't want to be extreme, I want people to give veg*nism a shot. I think the best way to do that is to talk, approach people politely, and feed them. Which makes me wonder, do I really want an animal rights group? If not.... what DO I want? Where is my life going with this?

No comments:

Post a Comment